International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), an impartial, neutral and independent humanitarian organisation has been permanently present in Rwanda since 1990. Having its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, the ICRC is given its mandate by the Geneva Conventions to protect victims of international and internal armed conflicts. We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person for the below position based in Kigali under an open-ended contract.
Exciting Employment Opportunity with the ICRC in Rwanda
Position: Finance and Administration Manager
Duty Station:ICRC in Kigali, Rwanda
Reports to: Head of Support
The Finance and Administration Manager is responsible for the integrity of financial and analytical accounting. S/he oversees all financial resources and administrative activities, such as management of premises and staff travel, in the delegation.
Generic Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Supervises the accounts department and preparation of the annual budget/monthly forecast and risk reporting, cost-control, and analysis of budget deviations. Ensures compliance with statutory reporting requirements (i.e. taxes and social security, the latter in close collaboration with the Human Resources Manager) and regularly assesses the financial situation (including treasury) of the delegation/structure;
- Acts as adviser, trainer, and coach on all financial or economic matters for the teams running humanitarian projects;
- Is responsible for drawing up contingency measures to respond to critical changes in the operating context;
- Interprets institutional guidelines and policies in light of the local context; sees to it that these are strictly implemented and monitored, ensuring compliance with ethical standards and mitigating financial risks;
- Acts as co-signatory and finance interface for both authorities and commercial parties (suppliers, banks etc.);
- Contributes with reliable forecasts and budget data to managerial decision-making on tactical (current fiscal year) and strategic (next fiscal year) matters;
- Oversees day-to-day financial management and maintenance of offices and residential premises; maintains an appropriate security set-up, including safe accommodation for all mobile staff.
- Supports the Head of Delegation/other structure in establishing (and updating) of the Risk Assessment for the delegation/structure, focusing on risks related to real estate and finance. Implements and monitors risk-mitigation measures in his/her area of responsibility, in close liaison with technical departments;
- In joint collaboration with technical departments and the sustainability team at headquarters, leads and initiates measures to reduce energy consumption and implements “gap-closing” measures identified in the Sustainability Assessment.
Specific Functional Responsibilities:
- Finance & Accounting Department
- Is responsible for the Rules of Financial Management and its application, suggests amendments whenever perceived necessary;
- Promotes Rules and Financial Management within the Delegation and ensures that all the people affected (Head of Departments) understand them;
- Makes sure that monthly signature list is updated and added in the monthly closing documents and ensures coherence of it;
- Provides the necessary feedback and support to all departments in relation to financial matters;
- Checks, approves, and signs payment approvals, internal requisition orders (IRO), requisition orders (RO), agreements, contracts, etc. according to competencies given in Rules on Financial Management;
- Supervises the replies and the follow up of the internal revisions comments and implements the suggested changes;
- Is the focal person during internal audits and is responsible for the implementation of the recommendations;
- Ensures proper bank account management according to F&A manual, in particularly ensuring that Power of Attorneys (PoA) are up to date and allow the Delegation to operate smoothly;
- Ensures that the departments provide their monthly financial forecasting and conducts trainings and information session if needed, treasury management
- Ensures that Daily Cash controls are done according to instructions received;
- Supervises monthly and yearly accounting closing;
- Supervision and monitoring of Time Reporting (TR) and TR Sitrep, fully understands the ICRC cost allocation method, provides coaching and training to the Finance & Accounting team and ensures basic understanding of it by all affected Delegation employees;
- Responsible for establishing and monitoring yearly budget.
Premises / Facilities Department
- Management of premises / facilities file;
- Assessment and negotiation of residences for international employees;
- Management and supervision of maintenance of offices and residences;
- Ensures that the institutional passive security setup is in place;
- Ensures that all administrative procedures related to the premises file are properly established and followed and ensures proper (contract, follow up, etc.).
Travel Office Department
- Management of internal travel office ensuring smooth running of the department;
- Ensures that all administrative procedures and guidelines are established and followed;
- Ensures that ICRC travel policy is applied and followed;
- Coordinates and is getting actively involved in problem cases of residence permits and visa issues;
- Ensures yearly re-evaluation and selection of travel agencies and hotels for accommodation and seminars.
People Management Responsibilities:
- Fully understands and supervises the Performance Management & Development (PMD) activities for employees under her/his responsibility;
- Makes sure that deadlines are respected in regards to the PMD cycle;
- Engages in ongoing and continuous feedback and support particularly for employees under his responsibility but also other staff members;
- Organizes regular meetings with his teams to ensure an optimal coordination of the work and proper flow of information;
- Ensures that job descriptions for employees under his responsibilities are up to date, seeks feedback and support of HR department if needed;
- Plans and coordinates the holidays of the employees under his supervision to ensure continuity of the operations throughout the year and making sure that there is no open holiday balances at the end of the year;
- Coordinates and supports the employees under his responsibilities in their personal development by coaching and advising them on internal and external training and development possibilities.
Key qualifications and experience:
- University degree in Business Administration, Finance/Accounting or Hospitality management.
Diploma in accounting (CPA/CMA or similar) / Internal Audit (CIA or similar) is an asset.
- Fluent command of English and French.
- Computer literacy
- 6 years’ confirmed practical experience in finance, management, including at least 1 year in financial accounting/controlling.
- Experience in an international working environment, abroad, or with an international organization/development agency is an added advantage
This position gives the candidate the opportunity to work in a recognised international humanitarian organisation with a favourable working environment, good conditions, and a lot of potential for personal and professional growth. Plus, the opportunities to learn and work with high-level staff at both local and regional level.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their application file (CV and cover letter) before Wednesday 19th January 2022, 5:00 pm using the “Apply for this job” button below.
Please note that only candidates selected for further tests and interviews will be contacted